Having a vision for a project, and making that vision reality are often two different things. Originally I was thinking I’d leave more of the rear frame for the seat. Then I came across this bike (see below) made by the wrench monkeys.
Seeing their rear frame mods, I decided I needed to do something similar. I’m not sold on their seat design but I like how they smoothed out the ugly factory stampings and rounded it. This will allow the seat to more closely follow the frame and sit about 1/2″ lower at the rear.
I did the initial cut with my trusty Milwaukee Sawzall. I used a large 1″ washer to scratch the final profile centered off the shock mount studs. I then did some closer to the line rough cuts with a 5″ cutting wheel on a right angle grinder. Followed that up with a some careful grinding and finally some hand filing to match up with the scratched line from the washer. I hammered out some 16 gauge steel and welded it in place. They came out pretty good. I’ll likely spray it with something after a light wire wheel buff. When I pull the frame apart for the final painting I’ll metal finish/fill weld so that it’s nice and smooth and shiny.
I have also cut off the rear muffler mounts and some other frame brackets at this point. The electronics will all fit up under the seat with some new brackets welded in place.