After the first evening of working on this project I’ve got the back half of the bike somewhat torn apart. I’ve got a solid plan as to where the electronic components will go up under the seat pan. I’ve been looking at tail lights and I believe I’ve found one I like enough to “settle on” for now. It’s an all in one LED unit with a license plate mount and led plate lights.
The red line in the above photos shows where I plan to cut off the rear seat frame. I plan to fabricate a new seat mount to weld in place before I make the cut and finish off the end of the upper frame. The more I toy with the design in my mind the more I feel like I will either scallop the fuel tank at the back, or possibly fabricate a new tank entirely.
In other exciting news, I got the ugly factory air box off. The carbs weren’t drained when she was stored and the fuel varnished inside. They are coming out and apart. How much of a rebuild I do will be determined after I tear into them and investigate their condition. The right hand carb has the float stuck down and the fuel comes out at a good clip when she runs.