Time for a progress report on the Cafe Racer build. I rebuilt the carbs completely stripping them and put them back on the bike. She ran well for about 15-20 minutes in the garage. I then took her out for 15 minutes of riding up and down the driveway. It was fun to ride, even if it was a short trip. Since she was warm I changed the oil and filter afterward.
Everything mechanical seems to work great. The CX500C fuel tank came in and I’ve test fit her in place. I think it looks awesome and I’m starting to see the total bike “vision” come together. I’ve picked out my headlight, but have yet to find a tail light set up that makes me happy. I am considering making my own using Luxeon Superflux LEDs at this point as none of the tail lights out there really fit with what I want for this bike.
Based on a couple friends suggestions, I plan to do a few how to posts in the near future. I don’t think I want to turn projects by zac into a how to/tutorial site, but I understand people want more informative and less documentary type posts. I’ll be starting with a post on how to change and clean out the front forks on the CX500. I’ve pulled them off the bike along with the rest of the front end to start cleaning, refurbishing and painting the various parts. I’m leaning towards clip on handlebars at this point. That way I can machine smooth the upper triple clamp. I really want to remove the key/ignition switch, but I’ve learned with my 67 Vespa VLB Sprint how critical it is to have a bike that has at least the appearance of being secure.